Just a twenty-something Socal gal living on a lil island in Japan.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Maman! Je Peux Faire un Gâteau!

On Sunday, Becky and I gathered with some of our Iki friends-the super cool Moms- for a baking lesson. These women are fierce! I can dedicate a whole blog post or two to them, but I'll save that for later!

Back to Sunday! I baked a pineapple rum cake (sans the rum) and Becky baked scones. As always, these lil events are fun and full of very genki children.
Although I have the occasional identity crisis about my Haitian heritage...

"Do I call myself Haitian-American? OMG, I'm so Americanized, my Creole sucks!!"

....I was extremely happy that I could share something from my family's culture. I told some stories about when my Mom baked the cake for family gatherings and how my Auntie taught me to always be happy, to smile, to sing, and to dance when you bake or cook. If you are happy then the people who eat your food will be happy. However, that last part was hard for me to explain in Japanese. I hope the gestures helped.


No comments:

Post a Comment