Just a twenty-something Socal gal living on a lil island in Japan.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

FUJI ROCK!!!

I went to my first music festival at the end of July-FUJI ROCK! My friends, never have I wanted to escape back to a world of music and questionable bathing.

The festival was in the mountains of Niigata prefecture. It was hot, but not the oppressive and suffocating humid weather in Kyu-shu. It reminded me of a California spring. Becky, Owain and I left on Wednesday night and arrived Thursday afternoon. It was an epic journey of boats, trains, subways, and buses. We arrived at the campsite in the late afternoon, got our wristbands and maps and trekked up the hills to find a spot to pitch our tent. We found a spot that was slightly hilly and it was interesting to sleep in. Every once in awhile we would slide down to the bottom of the tent. My first nights sleep was fine, but I was craving the comfort of my futons back home. Thursday night, I secretly wondered what the hell I was doing here and how I would make it for another three nights in tent with three pegs.
By the second night I was too drunk, tired, and too high on the music to care.

(I forgot to count how many pegs we had before leaving and thus we had only three pegs. If it rained at all during the festival, it would have been hell on Earth.)

So, I won't bore you with the detail to detail moments.

There were so many amazing bands and we saw what we could. My favorite act was probably Justice. But then there's Radiohead and that was....mesmerizing. It's true. Music can make you high. And it's better for yah lungs! I fell in love with Ed Sheeran and danced like a maniac during Annie Mac. I loved the Stone Circle where a group of random people gathered and made music with drums and pet bottles. By the end of the festival, I didn't want to leave, but I really wanted a proper shower. 


Ready for Fuji Rock!

Owain is somewhere in there....

Just a bit of the campsite.


Ed Sheeran

The Kooks



I ran into the guy on my right so many times during the festival and  finally introduced myself to him during the final moments of the festival. Maybe we'll run into each other again...it's up to destiny. 



No comments:

Post a Comment