Just a twenty-something Socal gal living on a lil island in Japan.

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tokyo Orientation

Alrighty, let's back track. More on Iki very soon! Ah, but first let's recall the blur that was Tokyo Orientation. In a nutshell, all the new JETs go to workshop after workshop on being an ALT or a CIR, living in Japan, and teaching. I was completely overwhelmed by all the information. Thank God, I took down notes because most of what I heard went straight over my head. While trying to process this info I was also fighting jet lag. I would fall asleep with no problem at 11pm only to wake up an hour or two later thinking it was 7 in the morning. The first couple of days I had a hard time getting a good nights sleep. On Tuesday, I woke up around 4:00am and decided to iron my clothes because my body refused to go to sleep! The highlights though were meeting with some old friends from Chiba and meeting new friends!! They're some pretty amazing people in this programe and I feel honored to be working alongside them even if we're sprinkled throughout Japan.

And it is official. Haitians always find each other!! At JFK, I heard an all too familiar language and looked over to the kiosk next to me. A fellow JET was with her family checking in and right after we struck up a conversation. So you see, Haitians are everywhere and we'll always find each other in some way.

I'm excited for the year to come and what I'll learn. I'm determined to work hard and become part of the community here on Iki. I really can't believe I'm back. It still feels surreal. When approaching the Japan coast I almost cried. So much hard work and stress went in to getting here. And I certainly couldn't have made it without the support of family and friends. Ah! I'm scared, nervous, overwhelmed, but most importantly happy.









No comments:

Post a Comment