Just a twenty-something Socal gal living on a lil island in Japan.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Just Shut Up and Listen

It's easy to fall into this position as a teacher thinking that you and only you are the sensei.

I think it's especially easy when we're young and we've just cut the ribbon into the "real world." We're motivated and our friends are telling us that world isn't ready for us. There's so much motivation and that's good. We need that drive. At the same time, whatever position you may be in, it is important to keep in mind that teaching and learning is a two way streak.

Yes, I'm teaching, but I often fail to realize that these students are going to teach and broaden my horizons. As I teach, I'll learn and vice versa.

While JET has us here for internalization, it is important to keep in mind what Japanese culture can teach us and what we can learn from each other as we will be interacting with people from all over the world.

Sometimes we need to stop talking and just listen. Which is something I'm really learning now.

Just shut up for a minute or two and hear what people gotta say.

No comments:

Post a Comment