Just a twenty-something Socal gal living on a lil island in Japan.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Iki Island Sound






Sunday, I went to my first reggae concert! Iki Island Sound!
I can't drive my car because I'm still learning how to drive it and I don't have car insurance yet. The owner of the bar was kind enough to give me a ride. An old Japanese man with swag. He's so freakin' cool! As a result, I was about thirty minutes early for the concert. Meeeh! I was totally nervous about being one of the first people to show up. My Japanese isn't that great so I was worried about communicating with people. But hey! This is reggae. One love! I had no reason to be worried or nervous. Everyone was so friendly. So I'm meeting all these people and it didn't hit me till I looked at that poster again that I was actually meeting the artists. Sugoii(amazing)!!! The venue was tiny; it was just a little bar and there seemed to be about thirty people including the artists. Oh and a couple of toddlers and a baby. The music was great, but the djs talked a lot. I'd be in the groove and shaking my tail feather and they'd lower the music to talk about something. But there was never a dull moment! People just kept getting crazier as the night went on. 


I got shout-outs throughout the night from the djs(I'm the new kid in town) and the main singer Ninety-U pleaded me to stay with him. Awwww. He was quite cute actually. Eh...there were a lot cuties. =) And everyone kept buying me drinks to the point I had to say no because I was almost three sheets to the wind. Afterwards I went to the after-party with the artists and some Iki locals and of course they bought me more drinks. I held myself pretty well considering I had nothing to eat for dinner! Of course, I was obliged to sing karaoke. Bah! After the party, I went to a ramen shop with two of the dudes. Squished in between them in the taxi, I was hoping that they dropped me off near my apartment, but then they asked me to the ramen place. Watev! The ramen shop ended up being a five minute walk from my apartment. Felt like 3 in the morning, but it was barely midnight. When I got home, all the alcohol hit me. I went in between chatting with my friend on FB to being sprawled all over my tatami mat cursing Japanese sake.
So how was your Sunday?    

1 comment: