Just a twenty-something Socal gal living on a lil island in Japan.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Nihongo speech...onegaishimasu.

So, I just have to write about this now! I'll write about other events later!

Today I did my jiko shokai (self-introduction) for the Junior High school today. I had to say a short speech in English and....dun, dun, dun, dun, Japanese. I was so freaking nervous. Today wasn't even a hot day, but the butterflies in my stomach were setting my body temperature at an all time high and I was sweating so much it looked like I just ran a 5K. The ceremony was only about 10 minutes. It was very Japanese with all the bowing and the students in these rigid straight lines. The Kocho-sensei(Principal) introduced me and before that we had to walk onto the stage at the same time. So I did my speech and the whole time I kept telling myself, "slow down, woman!" But it went well. By the time I said the Japanese version, I was bit calmer. Hopefully, I was loud enough. Thank God for the microphone.

After I said my speech, one of the students representing the school greeted me in English. I like to think of this as a bonding moment for us because I was nervous to speak Japanese and she was nervous to speak English. Afterwards, I ran into her in the hallway and gave her a thumbs up for a job well done.

One of the teachers led me back to the teacher's room so she could give me the pictures she took. And she told that I'm good at speaking Japanese to which I replied, "thank you, but I'm certainly not peda, peda(fluent)." I'm so grateful for this experience though because I really feel that it broke down a barrier between me and the students and the teachers. On the way home I went to Shun-chan's pharmacy to tell him about the speech. He made me recite it again and only then did I discover the grammatical errors. I said it many times for the Japanese teachers and they kept "ii desu," it's good. The errors weren't anything major. It was like if one forget to put the "is" or a "the." No biggie.

With all of the introductions out of the way, I start teaching in two weeks. And I'm so ready! YOSH!


I didn't realize till I stepped off the stage that the students had made signs for me and actually drew me! Love it!

1 comment: