Just a twenty-something Socal gal living on a lil island in Japan.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Weekend Disaster: Nagasaki Orientation

Nagasaki Orientation....a weekend in which I was supposed to have a relaxing couple of days off of Iki and it turned out to be a disaster. Okay...I exaggerate, but the trip could have gone a whole smoother if a couple things didn't happen. Such as...

1. Flying the day of orientation. I don't know why the Iki crew wasn't flown in the night before. After arriving, we had to take a bus to the orientation area, but we missed the bus stop because hmm, well I can't read Kanji. At the bus station we were told we had to take the tram about two stops to the conference center. On the tram and on our way, I realized that my Iki Island discount card along with my plane ticket had fallen out of the protective sleeve. smh! We go back towards the bus station and then I realize I left my backpack on the bus. DISASTER! This resulted with me breaking down in front of the attendant at the bus station because I couldn't remember the Japanese for "I forgot." Everything sorted itself out though. I got my backpack within twenty minutes(yay Japan!) and two people from the orientation picked us up from the station. Sorted!

2. Drinking way too much at the JET party.
-_____- I lied to myself when I woke up the morning after and said I was fine. By about 10 a.m. the night of debauchery hit me and I was a zombie for the rest of day. So much for sightseeing. I stayed in the mall the whole day with some other JETS. My friend assured me that I did not look hungover. Ah, but my body was saying different. I felt like I'd been hit in the head with a baseball bat, runover by a bus, and trampled by thousands of people. Oy vaaay.
3. Allergic reaction on my eyelids. On Saturday night, I was with some of my JET peeps when I felt my eyelids getting puffy. I don't know what the hell was going on with my eyes, but my bottom eyelids swelled up. I bought some allergy medication, but took too many and as a result felt like throwing up and then falling asleep right where I stood. Rough.

3. Being overwhelmed by the city. Trams? Buses? Trains? TRAFFIC?! I guess being on Iki for a month now has gotten to me because Nagasaki City was stressing me out with all that city...ness. A bunch us huddled together on an overcrowded train...ugh! Take me back to the inaka (country) please!

4. The orientation. How many times do I need to hear this information?! BAH!



However, I must say the weekend was not all that bad. I met so many awesome JETS in Nagasaki and made lots of new friends. D'aww! I met up with my friends from Tokyo Orientation( shout-out to Stephanie and Melissa!) Then there was that party. Hot damn and that's all I'm gonna say. o__O Yeah, the next day I was hungover, but who doesn't love a good party? My dear loves, rum and whiskey, we need a break.

By Saturday night, I was ready to go back to what I now call home, my dear Iki.














No comments:

Post a Comment